Monday, April 26, 2010

Reluctantly returned from New York. That city has such a hold on me. When work was through, I caught up with a very good old friend that I always see in New York, and we had dinner on the lower east side and my happy place, the East Village. Only, there seems to have been a shift in aesthetic in this neighborhood, because suddenly everyone seems young, like, too young to be at bars. I always felt like I was age-appropriate in the village, but I'm feeling a little phased-out. Although, the last place we stopped in, Big Bar, was just what we were looking for- not crowded nor full of the fake- ID crowd. No offense to the fake ID crowd, of which I was once a proud member. Nevertheless, I'm on the hunt for a new happy place, possibly Brooklyn but I hope to find new turf in Manhattan because the subway to/from Brooklyn always defeats me. And I find Times Square simply unbearable. We always stay there, because of the nature of my work (entertainment) and I used to find the hustle and bustle kind of energizing, but now I just get annoyed at people bumping into each other, and not paying attention to their surroundings. I blame camera phones and texting. Also, my own aging and increased lack of patience. However, I am glad people are enjoying this beautiful city, even if they never make it out of Times Square.

I am happy to report that I did take it easy on my health this weekend. I allowed myself a delicious dinner with my friend and enough delicious drinks to make me feel festive, but not too many to make me feel sick in the morning. Also made it to the hotel gym and did not over-indulge in backstage catering. Goal for next weekend is to get more sleep.

No comments: